Physical Activity may seem like a misuse of time when bogged down by the daily grind of work. It can be tough to schedule time for yourself to get a decent sweat on when it feels like you have a million other things that need your attention, but getting that workout in can actually help with your efficiency in a couple of different ways.
- Exercise Increases Energy: Exercise stimulates muscle growth, the absorption of nutrients and delivers oxygen throughout the body; all of which will increase your energy levels. As an added bonus, intense physical exercise can help release epinephrine and norepinephrine (the adrenaline hormones) to give you an extra boost post-workout. When you get back to work, you’ll be full of energy and ready to get S**t done!
- Exercise Reduces Stress: Work can be extremely stressful but exercise promotes endorphin and dopamine release into the body. These two hormones are directly related in the feeling of pleasure and happiness, which can help combat Depression and work related stress issues. Not only that, but being physically active gives you a way to handle stress in a much more productive, healthier way then most of the alternatives (Snacking, Drinking, Etc).
- Exercise Enhances Your Ability to Sleep: Regular exercise will help the body promote natural production of serotonin (responsible for restful sleeps) as well as naturally use energy stores throughout the day. Increasing restful sleep has been shown to improve mood, concentration and increased energy levels (while decreasing outside stimulants). You’ll be able to focus way more on that To-Do list staring at you!
- Exercise Inspires Creativity: Ever hit a wall on a project? It happens all the time, but taking a step away and being physically active can help inspire different ways of thinking. Get in the zone, listen to some upbeat music and you’ll be surprised with the different, new ideas you come up with as your body starts to de-stress and your naturally more stimulated. Having a great workout also builds up momentum so you’ll be able to hit the ground running when you’re back at it!
- Exercise Builds Confidence: When you feel better, you’ll present yourself better. Living an active lifestyle makes you feel better, but it also trains you to push outside of your comfort zone and do something you didn’t think you’d be able to. This confidence you feel in yourself will trickle down to other aspect of your life and business.
You’ll never FIND the time to get a workout in; you need to MAKE the time to get physical activity a part of your daily routine. It can be tough but your body, mind, business and loved ones will all take you once you’ve gotten that routine in. Remember, imperfect action is better than no action at all so start small and grow from there.
CSEP – Certified Personal Trainer